If you are always interested in pursuing a career as a nurse, now would be a good time to get a kick start in your nursing career with nursing scholarships for high school seniors. With over 2.5 million of them, nurses make up the largest workforce in the clinical healthcare industry. However, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) the demand for nurses from the clinical healthcare industry is still strong because the nursing population in United States is aging and more nurses are starting to move into primary care settings, therefore, the clinical healthcare industry is actually having a shortage of nurses, especially those who are capable of delivering specialized care. Experts found that nursing shortage is uniquely serious and is both a supply and demand shortage in the past, however, the nation is experiencing both population growth and population aging nowadays which would drive demand for nurses further to a higher level. While the economy slump and might even head to a recession, the nursing industry seems to work in the opposite way, employment of registered nurse is expected to grow by 27% in the next five to seven years, a very fast rate if compared with many other professions. All in all, the job opportunities are expected to be great for registered nurses in the next ten to twenty years as technological advances will permit more health problems to be treated thus increasing the demand for health care and indirectly also rise the demand for more doctors and nurses. Therefore, if you student or an adult who seek jobs with stable employment or needing a switch in career, you might as well consider to pursue a career in nursing as there are many nursing scholarships available nowadays to increase the supply of nurses in the clinical healthcare industry.
Nursing Qualification – Nursing Scholarships for high school seniors
According to BLS, in order to qualify as a certified nurse, you may choose any one from this three education paths before becoming a nurse.
1) First option by completing a diploma from an accredited nursing program or a hospital,
2) Another option is by completing an associate’s degree in nursing (ADN) which is a two year long program
3) The last option is by choosing a bachelor’s degree (such as Bachelor of Medical Science in Nursing or equivalent).
However, the diploma track have became less popular nowadays, there are more candidates who opt for an bachelors degree or associates degree as these degrees are more qualified, prestigious and versatile. Lastly, in order to become a licensed and practicing nurse, a candidate must pass a test called National Council Licensure Examination for Registered Nurses (NCLEX-RN) or the other test National Council Licensure Examination for Practical Nurse (NCLEX-PN). You can apply for many nursing scholarships and grants if you decided to pursue an education regarding nursing profession. In this article, I will provide you with a detailed explanation about the up and downside of each nursing scholarships in order to expose you to these nursing scholarships for high school seniors and grants and explain further to you about the nursing profession.
Nursing Scholarships – For high school seniors
As a matter of fact, there are many forms of different nursing scholarships and you should choose wisely to prevent making wrong choices in your nursing education and career.
1) First of all, I will start with the nursing scholarship provided by Larry L. Guthrie for Gonzaga University, Larry Guthrie is a successful building business owner and an alumni of Gonzaga University, his mother and he both attended Gonzaga University and his mother spoke highly regarding the education at Gonzaga University. To honor his mother, Larry L. Guthrie established the nursing scholarship at year 2005 to support the university in training more excellent nurses in the country and eliminate the tremendous shortage of nurses. You may contact Gonzaga University to find out more regarding this scholarship, contact Gonzaga University by mail 502 East Boone Avenue, Spokane, WA 99258-0102 or by phone (800) 986-9585. You can also check out Gonzaga University website to read more about this nursing scholarship for highs school seniors.
2) Another nursing scholarship you might want to check is the nursing scholarship offered by Danville Community College, the healthcare needs in this community is booming therefore this nursing scholarship is an attempt of the community to attract interested and talented personnel to join this clinical healthcare industry. In the next five years, Danville Regional Medical School will be awarding a total of 60 scholarships which adds up to an amount of $500,000 for successful candidates which are qualified to accept this scholarship. This nursing scholarship for high school seniors will cover all the tuition fees and cost for the associates’s degree in nursing which will be conducted in Danville Community College located in Virginia. Because the high rise demand for nurses in that region, you are most likely to secure a job immediately after graduation, with this scholarship, you can pursue an education and career in clinical healthcare industry with the minimum investment meanwhile, you also earn a stable employment in this industry. If you are interested with this offer, please do visit DCC Educational Foundation Office and apply online when the applications are open to candidates, visit danvilleregional.com for further information.
3) Are you a member of National Nursing Staff Development Organization (NNSDO)? If you already are, there is definitely some good news for you now. Currently the members of the NNSDO may qualify for the scholarships of around $2000 in Western Governors University to earn an online bachelor’s degree or a master’s degree in nursing or health care? In order to qualify for this highly competitive scholarship, you must be an active NNSDO member who completes the application for an admission, FAFSA and be admitted to Western Governors University (WGU) after going through an interview, after that you would need to go through an interview session with WGU Scholarship Counselor to prove that you are qualified to accept the scholarship, final decision will be make by the counselor. The scholarship will pay a rate of $500 every six months and the nursing scholarship is renewable for up to four terms. In order to find out more details, you may call this number 1-866-225-5948 or visit this site wgu.edu/tuition_financial_aid/ to make enquiries. The application deadline for different nursing scholarships varies and will be post on the website.
4) If you decided to pursue you nursing education with New York University, you are definitely very lucky as there are many different nursing scholarships available. However, in order to be eligible for applying a nursing scholarship from NYU you must complete the FAFSA process prior to your application. Nursing scholarships being offered in NYU include the-
a) David J.Knight and Joseph P.Calagreco HIV Nursing Scholarship Fund
b) Rudin College of Nursing Scholarships
c) Josephine LoBue Scholarshipd
d) McClure Scholarship
e) Charles W.Greenidge and many more. To find out more about the scholarships available in NYU, you might like to check out its website nyu.edu/nursing for further information regarding this scholarship.
5) Other than NYU, the University of Minnesota is also offering many different nursing scholarships, University of Minnesota is perhaps the best nursing school in the states. With the largest nursing program in the states, serious nursing students would tend to pursue their academic career in the University of Minnesota, there are nursing scholarships for high school seniors and grants available to both undergraduate and graduate students as well as fellowships which are made available for the graduates students.
Undergraduate nursing scholarships which are available in the University of Minnesota include
a) Danielson Nursing Scholarship,
b) Jean Rossman Field Nursing Scholarship, and many others, meanwhile, the graduate nursing scholarship include the
c) Shirley A.Berglund Nursing Scholarship and
d) Kathleen Dineen Nurse- Midwifery Scholarship. Please do check this webpage nursing.umn.edu/ or more information regarding these nursing program and scholarships.
6) In addition to all above, the Bethel University nursing scholarships is available, which is a small, private collage located in Arden Hills, Minnesota also offers a great variety of different nursing scholarships for high school seniors including the
a) Karen & Don Ciske Nursing Scholarship,
b) Charles and Marilyn Gustafson Nursing Scholarship,
c) Gloria Grayum Nursing Scholarship and, and
d) Mounds Midway Nursing Scholarships plus so much more.
The success rate of Bethel’s graduates also place Bethel among the top programs in Minnesota, the graduate in Bethel University are able to pass with flying colors and secured University of Bethel as one of the top nursing program available in Minnesota.
Conclusively speaking, if you enjoy helping others, if you are sincerely passionate about the clinical healthcare industry and the human spirit, love the responsibilities as a nurse and willing to commit to a nursing career, you should really consider a career in this sector. You must understand that due to shortage of nurses, you would need to work overtime constantly and burn-out is very likely to be an issue, caused by the stressful working hours. Also, you should keep in mind that many nurses need to make a lot of sacrifices, working during the off hours when your friends and family are relaxing, and you may have less time to spend with your family and friends. However, if you don’t mind the above stated issues, nursing career is exceptionally challenging and fulfilling, the average compensation for a nurse can go up to $63,000 while the 10% top nurses in the industry may earn more than $75,000 each year, according to Bureau of Labor Statistics. Nursing is also very great when you are working on specialized roles or move up to upper leadership and management roles. However, most importantly, you must truly enjoy your work and responsibilities as a nurse and is truly passionate about making difference in the life of others, if you are truly in love with your career and is willing to make sacrifices and put in hard work to make it happen, you would definitely success and shine in your nursing career and get the nursing scholarships for high school seniors of your dreams.